Week 3: Motivation To Learn

For this week's assignment, I used the technology tool Infogram to help me out. I was able to successfully create and share an infographic that allowed me to share my takeaways from my chapter highlighting Motivation to Learn and Gura's text. I found this assignment to be refreshing in that I was able to incorporate a lot of my creativity within my infographic. I found this assignment to be challenging as well in that I was faced with a task I have never completed before. I found the information in both texts that I read this week to be extremely valuable and informational, especially after the type of teaching year that I had last year. I have always known and understood that an individual's self-efficacy is vital in determining their motivation to learn. If they do not believe in themselves they are most certainly not going to believe or care about the information I am explaining to them. Providing students with reasons and content with relatability is crucial in fostering self-efficacy due to the fact that it gives a student something to focus on and show an interest in. I truly value this assignment because it forced me to take a step back and re-analyze how students are best motivated. This school year, while still dealing with Covid-19 in schools, is going to be a roller-coaster of a ride for all involved, and being able to connect with students and motivate students on multiple levels is key. 


Comments

  1. I feel like we constantly are searching for what motivates students. Sometimes it seems to change frequently. It is a whole other challenge when it comes to motivating students in a virtual environment. Students who are truly interested in a subject or project will spend more time on it than on other material. I have experienced this in person with students who have preferences to content areas. They will keep their grades up in their favorite subject, but fail to keep up with assignments in their least favorite class. I oftentimes forget students unique cultural differences when lesson planning, but I have learned a significant amount of information from Dr. Zhu's class about teaching to the diverse classroom. Thank you for sharing your insight!

    Bests,

    Alex Ayres

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I love your infographic, it looks amazing! I especially love the movement within the piece, it's very visually appealing. Did you think that infogram was challenging to use?
    Motivation for students to learn is such a tricky task, especially when each students motivation is different and changes as they age. Often, students lack the self-motivation to be successful. I saw so much of this during remote learning. Most students (at least in middle school) are not ready for full self-motivation and responsibility to keep up with their work on their own. I agree with you that connecting with students on varying levels is critical for success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not too bad to navigate! I would use it again in the future.

      Delete

Post a Comment