EDUC 5313: Blog Post 1
Hello! My name is Stephanie Tretina and I am in my fifth year of teaching. I started my career in Maryland teaching integrated science to sixth-grade students. I now have had the pleasure of teaching high school Biology in Delaware. I am currently pursuing a Master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction with a focus in Science education from Southeastern Oklahoma State University. Once I earn my degree I plan on incorporating new strategies and methods learned from my Master’s in my classroom. I also have a desire to one day work for a curriculum developer and help other teachers learn to implement new curriculum strategies.
There are seven ISTE Standard Indicators that are deemed necessary for students to develop. For instance, being an Empowered Learner, Digital Citizen, Knowledge Constructor, Innovative Designer, Computational Thinker, Creative Communicator, and Global Collaborator are all the standard indicators that students and teachers alike must work to strongly develop in the classroom. I teach science and with science comes a lot of out of the box thinking and creative ideas.
The lesson that I want to explain regarding the ISTE Standards and my own content standards is the Creative Communicator standard indicator; more specifically the standard 6c. Standard 6c essentially states that students are responsible for being able to communicate ideas clearly by use of various technological methods. This specific ISTE standard aligns with the Delaware State Standards of HS-LS2-1 in which students “use mathematical and/or computational representations to support explanations of factors that affect the carrying capacity of ecosystems at different scales” and HS-LS2-2 in which students “use mathematical representations to support and revise explanations based on evidence about factors affecting biodiversity and populations in ecosystems of different scales.”
In High School Biology I teach my students about ecosystems among many things. For ecosystems, most of my students simply think it is just all about animals and food chains. I must explain that this is not the case. Within the curriculum that I follow, we incorporate storylines. These storylines help students grab hold of something interesting that they want to know the end result of; know the end of the story. Students are asked why the buffalo population has increased dramatically in the Serengeti over such a short period of time. Students work collaboratively in groups to try and figure out the answer. Students incorporate their use of technology by utilizing Google Maps as well as Google Earth. These visualizations and models via Google Map and Google Earth help students piece together the answer to their initial complex question. This lesson idea aligns with state standards because students are trying to determine a serious issue regarding the carrying capacity of the buffalo using data from a graph along with the two real-time models. It is important to note that with many of the lessons I teach there are many moving parts. I make sure to strategize and plan my lessons to where I am only having students focus their attention on one particular aspect of the lesson at a time. I believe that pinpointing certain key points to tie all together at the end is vital for student comprehension and success.
Liz Kolb illustrates a multitude
of key points regarding student’s responses to technology. Within the lesson I
briefly explained above, students are utilizing real-time information from
Google Maps and Google Earth. It was vital for myself, as well as teachers in
general, to foresee issues that could arise from incorporating technology into
lessons (Kolb, 2020). Students must continuously be engaged with what they are
doing, otherwise, they will lose interest, focus, and ultimately not learn
anything. The technology that students are utilizing in the classroom should be
technology that has lasting effects on them. For instance, technology
should create opportunities for students in and out of the classroom. Most
technology that is incorporated should have twenty-four, seven usage ability
(Kolb, 2020). It is evident that Liz Kolb holds technology and teachers utilizing
technology to a high standard in education. Technology can take students to new
worlds and dimensions with their learning as long as it is used effectively.
References
Kolb, L. (2020). Learning first, technology second in
Practice: New strategies, research and tools for student success.
International Society for Technology in Education.
Science / next GENERATION science standards. Next Generation Science Standards. (n.d.). https://www.doe.k12.de.us/Page/2530.
I think it would really be fun to teach a biology course! In middle school in Oklahoma we teach physical, earth, and life sciences. I always enjoy teaching the life sciences, but sometimes I find it difficult to find inquiry-based activities for this content.
ReplyDeleteI think your idea about using real-time data from Google Maps and Google Earth is an excellent way to use technology for making connections between curriculum and the real world. When students are able to use data that real-life scientists use, they are better equipped to apply the concepts they learn in the science classroom. By relating science concepts to real-world scenarios, students are able to build conceptual understanding.
Kolb (2020) discusses how technology can enhance undeserved or at-risk students' learning experiences. Your lesson would also support teaching with interactive learning and higher-cognitive thinking which has been shown to have a positive impact on learning outcomes (Kolb, 2020).
Kolb, L. (2020). Learning first, technology second in Practice: New strategies, research and tools for student success. International Society for Technology in Education.
Bests,
Alex Ayres
Thank you for your insight! Much appreciated :)
DeleteWhen I taught 6th grade I incorporated the USGS website for real-time earthquake data and had students utilize that data when learning about plate tectonics! Could be something fun for you to look into with your students.
Stephanie
Stephanie,
DeleteYour ecosystem unit sounds like so much fun! When I taught high school biology, this unit was definitely a fan favorite. However, I think it would have been much more interesting if I had thought about integrating Google Earth at the time! If I ever teach biology again, I will have to use this idea! Thank you for your post.
Best,
Angela
Science has never been of inte4ret to me except for bilology. I remember learning about the ecosystem. At the time it was a little confusing to me but I had a great teacher who made it very interesting. It sounds as if you are taking things to a whole new level for your students with incorporating Google Maps and Google Earth. Kudos to you for expanding the minds of your students outside of a textbook and giving them a new alternative to looking at science beyond just the written word.
ReplyDeleteAll the best,
Terrence Needom
Hi Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your insights on how to use real time data in a biology setting. I also teach biology and am always looking for ways to make learning more meaningful for my students. I like finding real world problems for them so they can see the information we are learning is important and they can use the skills we have been practicing. I do agree that technology needs to always be accessible to the students and it take their learning so much further than the classroom.
I look forward to reading your other posts!
Thanks for sharing,
Claire Molony